Monday, January 15, 2007

The Call...

A phone call, I mean. Although the phone call was a step on the journey toward trying to hear if - no, not if - a step on the journey toward trying to hear what the Call is I'm hearing. But, if you don't know me, that's all a bit confusing without some more information. So, let's start where I intended to start before I got all befuddled in these words.

The Phone Call:

"Hi Alan. It's Father Mark, and I've got good news. The Bishop has accepted you as a Seminarian. Call me back when you can." That's what the voicemail said. I cried - just as I had the day before after meeting with the admissions committee who advises the Bishop. I wasn't sad. Wasn't scared (though that came pretty quickly). It wasn't really joy either (though that is certainly a part of it as well). It was..., well I don't know.

You know, we read about Moses at the burning bush. He made all the excuses, wondered aloud and directly to God about the wisdom of sending him. He tried everything he could think of to avoid what he was hearing. But, Moses did have a reaction when he noticed he was standing in the presence of God. He took off his sandals - he was on Holy Ground.

Standing in my kitchen, listening to the voicemail while I warmed leftover pizza in the microwave, I cried. I think it was my reaction to standing on Holy Ground.

In many ways, my journey is just beginning. In some ways, this bend along the path is reaching its destination and I've been taken to the beginning of a new path. A path that, like the one before it, will help me hear and follow The Call for my life - whatever that may be.

I want to share the journey with you. Welcome to my blog. And if you can, when you can, remember me in your prayers. This next bend is a little more uphill - at least that's the way it looks from here. But I know it leads to the Mountain of God.