Thursday, August 23, 2007

Ever Notice How...

...things sometimes just don't seem to work out "the right way"? I have a friend who often encourages me in times like this: 'Sometimes its a matter of our will vs. God's will; one of them is perfect, the other...not so much.' Well, the last part of that is a paraphrase, but you get the drift.

All of the arrangements are in place, I thought. All the "things left doing" were doable, I thought. I'm smiling even as I write this. Things don't always work on our schedule, according to our plans. And - particularly given my entrance into the seminary in just two days - perhaps its a good lesson to have right in front of my eyes. I sense there's a lot more "surrender" to come in seminary formation. I trust I can find the balance to "surrender" without "giving up" - because they are two very different things. With one, we stop fighting against the wind. With the other, we stop doing anything.

Father... help me to surrender to Your will. Help me trust that, when situations don't proceed as smoothly as I'd thought they would, they will and are proceeding...in Your time and in Your way. Help me to remain open to Your leading, depending on You, and listening for lessons and opportunities for growth, rather than becoming defensive and scared. And when the chips are down, help me to put one step in front of the other, do the next right thing, and trust the outcomes to Your Divine Providence. Amen.

We hardly ever know what's going to be around the corner we're planning to turn... sometimes, we're even surprised before we get there.

Peace be with you...

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Alan,

If I did not know better I would say that you wrote this prayer for me and what my family has traveled through these last 2 weeks.Thank you dear friend.Baydon was also very touched.

As always with love & hugs,

Cassie

Cassie

Melissa said...

I definitely know where you're coming from on this one. I'm such a control freak, it feels like at least once a week God has to give me a little nudge to remind me just who's running this show. ^_^

+ Alan said...

And also with you Alan. Timely for me and mine as well. Grace be with all of us.