Saturday, August 11, 2007

Road Tripping...

Well, I'm off! (Some of you already knew that about me, though, didn't you?) What I mean THIS time is I'm off on the "Rock the Collar" tour of the Lexington diocese with my brother seminarians. I'll probably be away from a computer for the next week or so while I'm travelling with the group - though if I find a kind pastor with Internet access, I'd love to give you "live updates from the road".

What is "Rock the Collar"? It's a holy trip with some great purposes. 9 of us who are entering for the first time (like me) or returning to seminary from our diocese are piling in a Dodge Durango and visiting parishes throughout our diocese. Each evening we'll arrive at a new parish and spend the night with host families from that parish. The next morning we'll meet up with the pastor and spend the day with him however he chooses. (Goal #1 - Get to know the priests in our diocese - one day, Lord willing, we'll be serving right along with them.)

Sometime during the day we'll celebrate mass together, and spend a hour in Eucharistic Adoration. We're also going to be praying Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer together. (Goal #2 - Pray together. Goal #3 - Have some time "apart" for prayer and reflection before school starts.)

As the afternoon draws on, we'll gather with the whole parish community to share a meal, introduce ourselves, and share our vocation stories. (Goal #4 - Get to know the parish communities our diocese serves, and let them get to know us. Goal #5 - Promote vocations by sharing what God has - and is - doing in our lives.)

This has "reality show" written all over it. I tried to convince the vocations office to wire up the Durango with cameras. If they did "God or the Girl" - they could make "Holy Roadtrip, Batman" or something. I KNOW it would be a hit.

Anyway - keep my fellow seminarians and myself in your prayers this next week. The toxic smell from the back seat on any roadtrip could wipe anyone out... Just kidding. We appreciate your prayers for safe travel, for bonding together, and for carrying a message throughout our diocese.

See you in a week or so!

5 comments:

Tom Gibbons said...

We started our first year with a road trip... it was an unqualified pain in the ass, and started the year off in a great way. You'll love it - you'll be in my prayers.

Vito said...

Instead of "God or the Girl," I was thinking something like the "Ultimate Fighting Championship" reality show. Last one standing becomes ordained.

Have fun. I always enjoy spending time with other guys discerning priesthood.

Matt1618 said...

hey brother, I just found out that you're linking to my blog (through Keith's blog)...thanks man :)

Patrick said...

What's all this I look forward to meeting you stuff? Am I so forgetable that you actually forgot about meeting me on your "come and see" visit? Tisk tisk tisk...

Melissa said...

All right Bill, I'm commenting so that you will. ^_^

I had a blast when you guys came in. I think it's wonderful what you're doing; I have a great deal of respect for all of you, and I hope (hope!) to be able to sponsor at least a couple of you when you visit next year.