Friday, August 10, 2007

Tagged Again...8 Things About Me

I've been tagged again by Vito at "The Long Road to the Priesthood". This time, the challenge is to share 8 facts or habits about myself. Here are the rules:

"The rules are simple…Each player lists 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog."

So, here goes:

1. I'm a smoker.
About a pack a day. (I know...I know. It's times like this I LOVE that Jesus said, "Let him who has no sin cast the first stone." LOL) My guess is that, with my move to seminary - which doesn't allow smoking inside - and with a much reduced income and smokes $3+ per pack, this will be reduced. OK - enough rationalizing. The rules should have said, "And no excuses or rationalizing".

2. I'm actively involved in a 12-step program.
The one I'm involved in is for family & friends of those who struggle with addiction called NarAnon, very similar to AlAnon. Anonymity is important - suffice it to say the person's who's struggles with addiction first brought me to this group aren't my parents or my grandmother. The real point is, it wasn't their addiction that led to my struggle - it was my reaction to it. So who brought me there is not relevant. I'm forever grateful for the 12 steps, what its taught me about life and walking with the God of my understanding. Without the spiritual awakening that took place in my life as a result of the program, I don't know that I'd be where I am today.

3. I designed (heh..past tense...more lasts) web-based software for a living.
I conceptualized them, worked with our clients to conceive of the application's requirements, interfaces, and underlying data structures. I also managed the development & implementation projects, and handled ongoing troubleshooting & development. I loved my job, I'm good at it - and I'll miss it.

4. I LOVE music.
I've posted about it before here and here. Music connects me with deeper feelings, reminds me of great experiences, transports me, lifts me. I can't remember ever a time of being far away from music - and can't imagine it. I can't sing all that good, but that doesn't keep me from letting it belt out while I'm driving down the road.

5. I'm (sorta') an only child.
My mother and father were apart from the time I was born until I was 10 or so. They re-united, and I have three half-brothers and a half-sister. In very many ways I'm an only child. But, with that, I have some of the "good stuff" of having siblings - mom & dad have grandchildren even though I'm entering seminary and may enter the clerical state. I need to, and want to, work on my relationship with my brothers & sister in the coming years.

6. I cry.
Yep - guys do cry. And I'm one of them. Sometimes during movies, even. LOL. I am often moved to tears during what are for me intense spiritual "encounters". Sometimes during prayer. Often - very often - during mass. I've come to be pleased that I can cry when I want to - its much better than playing "macho" and trying to bottle it all up.

7. I'm still very close to 2 High School friends.
Up 'til my move later this month, its been common for me to see and or talk to one or both of them several times each week. I'm going to miss them nearly as much as my family when I move.

8. I LOVE to cook.
Try new recipes. Experiment without a recipe. Cooking for myself or for others. I suppose I could have said, "I love food" instead, but that would betray too much about my rotund figure - heh - but it comes from that same place. Food is just neat to work with - and so is serving something interesting...either to myself or to others.

OK...there's my list. Now I'm supposed to tag 8 other people who blog. I wish I could tag some folks who don't blog but who read mine... maybe I'll do that sometime. But for now, I'll try to stick to the rules. I tag:

1. Ryan at A Jesuit's Journey
2. Gashwin at Maior autem his est caritas
3. Keith at Just a Guy From Jersey
4. Fr. Noel at Beneath the Same Sheltering Sky
5. Fr. Martin at Bonfire of the Vanities
6. All the guys at Cincinnati Seminarian's Blog
7. Jeff at Life is a Prayer.com
8. Patrick at Veritas nunquam perit

OK guys... you're tagged - the rest is up to you!

No comments: