Thursday, September 13, 2007

I Have Some of the Strangest Prayers Sometimes...

Call me a sentimentalist... swayed by emotion... Yeah - I'll buy that indictment. I just don't buy that its always bad. Apart from anything to ground it, it can be dangerous. But, when it leads me closer to Christ, I'll take it.

What am I talking about? Some of the lyrics to songs that are patently not about God - many that are what you might call "love songs" - that can very easily take on a resemblance to prayer for me. Try this one on for size that was on the radio as I was struggling against the temptation to hang up the towel and call it a night before finishing my work for the day:

You're my peace of mind in this crazy world.
You're everything I've tried to find,
your love is a pearl.

You're my Mona Lisa,
you're my rainbow skies,
and my only prayer is that you realize
you'll always be beautiful in my eyes.

The world will turn and the seasons will change,
and all the lessons we will learn will be beautiful and strange.
We'll have our fill of tears, our share of sighs.
My only prayer is that you realize
you'll always be beautiful in my eyes.

You will always be beautiful in my eyes.
And the passing years will show
that you will always grow
ever more beautiful in my eyes.

When there are lines upon my face
from a lifetime of smiles, and
when the time comes to embrace
for one long last while,
we can laugh about how time really flies.
We won't say goodbye 'cause true love never dies.
You'll always be beautiful in my eyes.


OK - I know - there are some theological problems with applying these lyrics out of hand to Jesus. First of all, thank God, when it comes time to say goodbye to this world, it won't be for "one long last while". But - isn't that because True Love never dies? And, after all, if there's a definition of the grace that we've been given by God, isn't it His True Love?

Well - OK - maybe its too much of a stretch. I don't know. But I do know this much is true. I can look at God squarely, and with all truth, honesty, humility, and gratidue... and say, "And my only prayer is that you realize You will always be beautiful in my eyes."

1 comment:

JustMe said...

Nope, not too much of a stretch at all. There are many many love songs we can sing to Him sometimes without too much of an adjustment (or that He can sing to us) even via the radio.

God bless you :-)