Saturday, June 28, 2008

On the Stove Again...

...I Just Can't Wait to Get On The Stove Again...

OK - that's not how Willie Nelson sang it - but when I moved here to the rectory for my summer in Pikeville, one of the things I was most excited about was the chance to cook again. Don't get me wrong, I'm so VERY grateful for the dining room situation at seminary. When I'm struggling with papers, or reading, or even just 'tons of stuff to do' at seminary, its nice to not have to think about what to eat. Just showing up at mealtime is very nice. But I do love to cook, and I miss it some.

Anyway, I've been cooking for Fr. Wil and myself and really enjoying it; and I didn't let up while he's been gone. Earlier in the week I was talking with Mom on the phone; she's often sharing new recipes she's discovered with me. Two of them she shared were very interesting, and I thought I'd give one a try.

Now... I should be honest - sharing a recipe most often includes having it read to us, but not necessarily writing it down. I've always sorta' thought of recipes as 'guidelines' rather than rules. (You know, like Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean...) So I always modify and tinker, maybe replace something with what might sound better to me. So, the recipe is just getting the general idea of what the creator was after, and then in the cooking, I sorta' make it my own. *shrug* It's more fun this way.

Anyway, mom - this entry is for you! Check out what I had for dinner last night!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oozing pimento cheese does not a good photograph make. It should taste (and I certainly hope it did) better than it looks.

Maybe a sprig of parsley?
tee hee - Mom